Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isabella Ơi!

Isabella:

would you please share with us your recipeS of the French country bread, not solely the new cold water yeast version,

so that some of us can have good bread to eat, especially to made grilled sandwiches with?

PLEASE do note all of the MUST DOs and DONTs.

Thank you so very much .

P.S.: while in college, I made the so called Sheperd Bread Made With A Cast Iron Dutch Oven; but now, I forgot all of it. Just remember that the taste and the texture is very good and the process is fun to do.

RE: Isabella Ơi!

JS,

I thought I already posted the recipe of Pain de Campagne. In case you REALLY need it, look in Potluck #8.

Check your PM
    You should always go to other people funeral because they cannot go to yours!

Yogi Berra

Comment

Isabella:

admin is working on the server at the moment, so I have yet to see your PM etc. (I sent you one too, but I doubt it that you see it).

So, the country bread is double rised, baked on a flat baking sheet?

Comment

Jane,

I received your message but when I sent my reply, it sez"you cannot send two consecutive messages ....."

Anyway, for the bread, After you mix the poolish with flour, knead well and srpinkle salt while kneading . BTW, if you have a bread machine, use it as the bread will turn out better .
        I let it rise in a lined oval bottom basket (like a colander) . If you want your bread hollower, let it rise for1 hour, then flip it onto a flat baking sheet which was sprinkled with corn meals.

Be sure to bake it in very hot oven with steaming water inside (450F). To get lots of steam, boil water on the stove then pour into a pan, place it in the oven .
        Last time I did not turn my oven very hot so my bread kinda pale .

Yogi Berra

Comment

Many thanks, Isabella!

I now have the crave for a decent grilled cheese sandwich,

which I want to make it with decent thick slices of French country bread, grated cheese, slices of ripe tomato, basil, olive oil, may be few slices of cold cuts

never forget to use room temperature butter to spread both sides of the bread and use a heavy skillet for this.

Grilled Summer vegetables are great for this sort of grilled cheese sandwich as well.

Comment

I like bruchetta. When I first heard the people in the cooking circle raving about bruchetta, I thought something new and only the Italian have it . It turned out just toast with butter .
            When I was a child in Vietnam, we always toasted the bread first then spreaded butter on top then toasted again. Of course we did not use the regular toaster (didn't have one anyway) but over a hibachi .

Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
            X