X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should We Buy Pre-Cut Chicken Pieces?

From a frugal cook:

"should one buy the precut chicken pieces?"

so I post it here for all of you who want to help me to answer the question.

Please take into consideration of everything, not just the price.

Thanks,

RE: Should We Buy Pre-Cut Chicken Pieces?

I always buy pre-cut chicken even for making broth, saving a lot of time .When they are on sales it's not that expensive at all.

Comment

i am too lazy to analyze

just gimme the answer

why and why not?

Comment

ORIGINAL: Tie^?u Tie^n

i am too lazy to analyze

just gimme the answer

why and why not?
        Bump!

hahahahahahaha

or is that the lazy bone? LOL

Comment

íve always buy pre-cut and pre-pack chicken from costco... too late to cut the whole chicken.. hhahah

Comment

I buy both.

Whole chicken:
            - cheaper
            - more juicy
            - take longer time to cook
            - more favorin VN style: like gà bóp rau răm, gà kho gừng kho sả, nước nấu hủ tiếu, phở...

Pre-cut:
            - more $
            - dry
            - easy, convenient to cook... khi bận rộn thảy mấy cục vô (even still frozen) là có ăn
            - more favor in Ame style: like salad, chiên nguyên 1 lát bự như steak...

Comment

If you have a chance to visit a chicken processing line of major companies such as Tyson, Foster Farms etc. you will see the chicken from the moment of being hung upside down on the chain conveyor to the packing line takes less than 90 seconds.

At the receiving end of the packing line is a super chilled water bath, where all chicken ready to be packed must be submerged in the cold water, to prevent bacteria growth; or else the chicken may be spoiled too early.

Thus, the whole, good looking, chicken are packed in the shortest time, much less exposure to chances of contamination;

while those with damaged wing, damaged leg, bruised etc. must travel down the line further for being cut up then packed as all drumsticks, all wings, all breasts etc.

The rule of thumb in this business is the more human hands touch the product, the higher the cost and the higher the chance to be spoiled, due to longer exposure time to contamination.

Thus, whole, packed in sealed plastic bag chicken are of better quality and cheaper.

Now, some cook may be intimidated with the cutting into parts/pieces of a whole chicken; but nothing to it! With some proper instruction and practice, one only need less than a minute to transform a whole chicken into: 2 wings, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 breasts and 1 backbone.

From there, with freezer ziplock bags, one can save the yet to be used parts in the freezer immediately for other use. Many backbones, gizzards, remnants can be used for the broth making (+ yellow onion + bay leaves +/- celery, carrot).

So, it would be best to buy 2 - 4 whole chicken at a time, cut them up, bundle the similar pieces for certain dishes; the rest to be used as stock making.

Believe it or not! hahahahahahahaha

Comment

wow..that's some infor.. Janie

mà... i assume everyone will cook the chicken well done..that should kill all the bacterias.

honestly..the only chicken i bought so far is chicken breast ahahahha

else the whole roasted chicken........ so i dunno much))

Comment

Jane : it takes more than a minute to dissect the chicken [8D][8D]

Comment

ORIGINAL: tennismom

Jane : it takes more than a minute to dissect the chicken [8D][8D]
                    Heck NO!

It takes me about 20 seconds to part a whole chicken into 10 pieces (with 1 knife + 1 kitchen shears) : 2 breasts, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 wings, back bones into 2 pieces.

Must have the chicken at refrig. temp. (40F, no ice);

just lift the leg up, allowing the chicken's weight to separate the joint, cut at that joint; repeat on the other side;

then do the same with the wing, then the other wing;

then use the kitchen shears to cut along both sides, exposing to breasts in one chunk, use the same kitchen shears to cut the backbones into 2 pieces; then use the knife to separate the 2 breasts; cut the legs into drumsticks & thigh at the joint; trim the wing tips. DONE!

No chopping!

Comment

Jane : Now I have to time myself next time when I cut the chicken. Need some more chicken broth,so there's a big chance that I have to do this weekend. Will let you know if I can beat your record

Comment

Further,

for those who want chicken pieces to cook the Vietnamese way, such as Gà Kho Sã Ớt, just use a knife to score the thigh, drumsticks, backbone then use the kitchen shears to break off the bones.

A pair of pliers, from the hardware store, can be of great use here to crush the chicken bones once you use the knife to cut the flesh and exposing the bone.

No Chopping!

Gà kho sã ớt, Vịt kho gừng
                        Không phãi tự nhiên nói dững dưng.

hahahahahahaha

Comment

Working...
                        X